Monday 17 March 2008

Figure-8 Racing

This afternoon I was watching a newly discovered channel, Men and Motors, and I watched the most crazy car race I had ever seen. It is called Figure-8 racing, and it consists on turning hundreds of times (the race I saw finished with around 450 turns done) around an eight shaped short track with powerful cars. The image on the right is a diagram of the track, with the crossing section highlighted. The crazy thing about this is that the crossing between the two directions is not made by a bridge but at the same level. As you may be thinking right know crashes are quite common.


Even though I didn't know the names of any of the racers the race was quite amusing and I enjoyed it. There was some serious driving skills and it is the first race I had ever seen where the pilots have to look around in an intersection in order to complete the turn.

By the way, as you may have already imagined the races are held in the USA, where else could people do this kind of racing...


I have added a video so you can see some Figure-8 Racing action:

No comments: