Tuesday 13 May 2008

Ubuntu 8.04, at last a Linux for Windowers

Even though it was released some weeks ago I hadn't had time to install and test the new Ubuntu release known as Hardy Heron. I don't have a lot of experience working with Linux environments, I used to have Kubuntu 7 installed in my computer, but a re-installation of Windows deleted the entrance paths to it and I had to format it, but never bothered to install it again. Apart of that I have been working during the last year with a command-based Linux version -I don't know which one- at the university. The problem was that I found Windows easier to use and since I've grown accustomed to it I found Linux too much of a change.

But not anymore. In my opinion the new release of Ubuntu will be the good one to allow the transfer of users from Windows to Linux. The graphical interface is amazing, is very intuitive to use, it's available in many languages (like Catalan :)) and it comes with all the applications any standard user may need, like an Instant Messenger, Firefox 3, text processor, spreadsheet, sideshow editor, many games and a lot of other things. I have fallen in love with it. I run it from an external USB HDD and works perfectly and fast (I would like to see Windows doing the same), in fact I am typing this post in my Ubuntu environment and no problems at all.

Even though I really like it and I have good feeling about its success it still has some issues other Linux versions have, like some computers don't seem to like having Linux in them (I am lucky because mine was specifically designed to work perfectly with both OS) or that a lot of software it is still designed to work only with Windows and not with Linux. I any case, a great step forward.

You can download Ubuntu by clicking here. Here you can see a demonstration of how it looks before you choose to install it (this video uses the compiz extension, but is the same one I use and it is very easy to install):


No comments: