Tuesday 20 May 2008

Raven, by Edgar Allan Poe


While speaking with my girlfriend about a short-stories book I remembered one of the best pieces of English literature I know of, Raven from Edgar Allan Poe. I had read a translation to Catalan before and I really liked it, but after reading the original version I am speechless. The special use of alliterations and rhymes make a very musical yet powerful poem, one you have to read on a dark night with the only light of a candle when a thunderstorm is pounding outside the window. For those who have never read it or what to read it again here is a link to it and the first paragraph so you want to continue reading.

You can find the rest of it here: The Raven

Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pondered weak and weary,
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore,
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping,
As of some one gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door.
`'Tis some visitor,' I muttered, `tapping at my chamber door -
Only this, and nothing more.'


1 comment:

La Gata Ciempiés said...

Yes, the sound is really cute but I don't understand almost anything :(

Could you please rewrite the translation in Spanish or Catalan?

In the other hand, I don't know why it makes me sad. I think is because I'm missing someone so much... but, as I said before, I don't understand the sense so... who knows.

I per cert! a veure si escrius més coses per aquí que tens el blog molt oblidat ;P